Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Knitting & Reading

It's been a busy two weeks since I last posted. I've been knitting furiously (but enjoyably), reading voraciously and running the kids around constantly. Quiet, relaxing summer? I think not. :)

Andie had been saying for a while that she wanted a "serious" haircut - - something along the lines of "much shorter." Her father and I were pretty dubious, thinking she might regret it after the fact, but we were wrong. This past Saturday, Andie and I were cruising Roanoke, getting some things done, while Skander was busy with his card tournament. While at the mall, we went into a local salon and Andie got a great haircut & styling. (Then we had to buy a flat iron so that she could do it herself at home).



So much hair was cut, in fact, that we were able to donate the ponytail to Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children in need. (Yes, her hair is naturally that curly).



Finally, some knitting content. My Bev Galeskas "Pure & Simple" baby blanket is 90% done. It's huge, but it'll keep Gabrielle warm when she arrives in September. Once I finish this, I'll be back on my Dragon Scales shawl.



And finally, I found these napkins at a friend's house and laughed hysterically. I've been running across Dorothy Parker quotes a lot lately, so I finally visited the library and checked out "The Portable Dorothy Parker" and have been enjoying that enormously.




Have a great week everyone!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee hee hee - great "poem" :)

Andie's hair looks great; and how wonderful that she was able to donate to Locks of Love!

Marianne said...

Dorothy Parker, such a gem of a woman, eh?

Mercy. How I'd love to have those natural curls! Beautiful. They seriously look like 'the perfect curls',ya know?
Great haircut though and huge proud hugs for donating her hair!

Yep. Having one of those 'quiet summers' here also... NOT.

Anonymous said...

I think that napkin was written for a few knitters who shall remain nameless....

Andie looks beautiful! Love the cut!

Lara

Angela Cox said...

Love that idea of donating hair. As for Dorothy Parker I love her acidic humour.Please don't leave them nameless they are probably the ones leaving inane comments on my blog !

emmy said...

I love your daughter's haircut- and that is a bonus to be able to donate to Locks of Love. One of the gals in our knitting group did that recently along with her 7-8 yo daughter. It is so generous to share in that way.

I have laughed my you know what off at the napkin. I am going to have google and read some Dorothy Parker.

Nikki said...

Andie's hair looks GREAT! I did the locks of love thing too. It's neat to think of someone having a wig that's made up partly of my hair!

Jadielady said...

Awww that's a very nice hair cut! I've tried something similar but I just don't have the patience to do my own after the fact.
Beautiful blanket too! What a lucky baby :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd known about Locks of Love when I did the big chop. It was my sophomore year in high school, and I didn't know about LoL until a couple years later. They would have gotten a big ponytail too; my hair fell to my mid-back, and I cut it "Little Orphan Annie" short! I'm glad Andie was able to donate hers!

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd known about Locks of Love when I did the big chop. It was my sophomore year in high school, and I didn't know about LoL until a couple years later. They would have gotten a big ponytail too; my hair fell to my mid-back, and I cut it "Little Orphan Annie" short! I'm glad Andie was able to donate hers!

Becky said...

The haircut looks great! Your baby is growing up, you know. I was able to give enough ponytail for 2 wigs (they cut 20 inches) and I will grow it as long as I can and do it again. It makes me feel good to know that someone somewhere is enjoying my hair as they go through something so difficult. Doing some reading here as well. George Washington is my hero, as some know, and I found a great book on his and Marthas lives together. I do believe that in a former life I must have known him---somehow! ; }

Dianne said...

Andie, your hair looks divine!!Ultra Chic!! And Locks of Love is my favorite organization of that type..even though I have 1/2" hair..I think what they do is just heart warming. My hat is off to all of you that have given your locks to them..it truly is a marvy cause~